Upgrade to WordPress 2.3

Dexter has not been such a piece of cake as version 2.2.3 but it’s finally on. The problems I had were caused by one of the new features: canonical URLs. Basically, what it does is to make sure that no matter how you access certain content you’ll always get the same URL, making it stay in the address bar. This URL is the canonical URL and it is the only way to represent a content. For example, while accessing this blog, you can type www.aracelicheca.com/blog or just aracelicheca.com/blog. Both ways work but only one can be the canonical URL.

But sometimes this redirection to the canonical URL may conflict with your own redirections, usually defined in the .htaccess file (Apache), and in previous revisions there were problems with host name capitalization. There are some other causes which will lead you to this Firefox error:

The page isn’t redirecting properly
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

* This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies.

This bug was reported and it is listed as fixed in WordPress Trac (Ticket #4773), but for some reason it is not working for me. For the time being, I’ve made a quick fix consisting of disabling canonical URLS by commenting the last line in wp-admin/canonical.php. I know, it is not a fix at all but just avoiding the problem 😉 I’ll do some research and I hope I’ll be able to enable this feature again. If you have any ideas, just let me know 🙂

3 thoughts on “Upgrade to WordPress 2.3”

  1. The symptom can be caused by a myriad of things.  I fixed the ones that were in that bug report, but your problem is obviously caused by something else.  If you’d be willing to give me temporary FTP access to your site, I can gather some debug information and get the problem fixed for 2.3.1  I’ll do it in a way that won’t affect your site (only try the redirects for my IP), so it won’t cause any downtime.  If you’d be willing to do that, just send me to the e-mail address in this comment!

  2. I had this problem when I upgraded.  The particular cause of my problem is described in ticket #5306. I fixed it by changing the URL and Blog address to exclude the "www." part of the URL.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *